history-genealogy site

This is a site where I will discuss my family genealogy research and related history. When a blog deals with a particular family group, I will try to include it in the title so uninterested people can skip it without skimming it. It is my hope to get feedback on research methods, family members and historical context from other historians, genealogists, and researchers. (c) Barbara L. de Mare 2006, 2007

Name:
Location: Englewood, New Jersey, United States

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

KEEP READING THOSE LISTS

I have signed up for various lists, bothplaces and surnames. Some days I feel like I am just wading through a lot of stuff, none of which applies to me. Then comes the gem that makes it all worthwhile. The lists can be read quickly by checking the "Re:"s. If you read the first of a thread and it is of no interest, just delete the rest with the same name. That speeds it up a lot. My Herkimer County list had a subject name "Finks." I have Finks from Herkimer County, so started reading. First I was just asked for information so sent a genealogy report of what I have on the name. Then the correspondent started sending me stuff she had gotten from others. What a treasure trove! One of them quoted records of the Palatine immigration located in the British Museum. Another talked about Bounty Land received. This 24 hours of correspondence has yielded more results than I could find in days in a research facility. Another success storn is the Mead Researchers group. I had asked a question on the Conn list about Sherwoods, Husteds, etc. I got a reply from a woman who had the same lines and who suggested I join the Mead Researchers, as there was much intermarriage going on. The only direct Mead ancestozs I know of are a man who never lleft England, and his daughter who came here--but not with the Mead name. I spend a lot of time deleting stuff from this list, but the few posts that are of interest to me make the list worthwhile.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home