history-genealogy site

This is a site where I will discuss my family genealogy research and related history. When a blog deals with a particular family group, I will try to include it in the title so uninterested people can skip it without skimming it. It is my hope to get feedback on research methods, family members and historical context from other historians, genealogists, and researchers. (c) Barbara L. de Mare 2006, 2007

Name:
Location: Englewood, New Jersey, United States

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Filing Memories

We all spend a lot of time looking for events from the everyday lives of our ancestors. But what we doing for our descendants? An easy way to preserve some memories for them is to just make a copy of every childhood (or adult for that matter) memory you enter onto the internet for any purpose. Discussion groups are good for this. A group of us who got to "know" one another through the MyFamily courses started our own group with our own weekly chat. The chat isn't doing well at present due to the busy schedules of all involved, but the message board-like portion is very active. Tonight I read a thread in which many people were recalling making aprons from flour sacks. This reminded me of the skirts I made from feed bags. I hadn't thought about those skirts in 50 years. Once I wrote my entry, I copied it into a Word document and saved it in a file labelled simple "me." The file is full of such trivia, but stuff I would love to know about my ancestors. The entry tonight was simply as follows:
Barbara deMare ~ NJ - Apr 11, 2007 Edit | Delete | Viewers | Reply to this item
You guys bring back the best memories! At one time in my life I was a good seantress. I mande all my daughter's clothes, including her wedding gown. I also made a wwedding gown for my "adopted" daughter. Then I quit sewing. I got my sewing start with feed bags--akin to flour sacks. My mother couldn't sew but she had a friend who could. I remember being about 8 years old and going to the friend's house (Mrs. Moody) with my feed bag, and being very proud of turning it into a gathered skirt--the kind we wore in those days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home