history-genealogy site

This is a site where I will discuss my family genealogy research and related history. When a blog deals with a particular family group, I will try to include it in the title so uninterested people can skip it without skimming it. It is my hope to get feedback on research methods, family members and historical context from other historians, genealogists, and researchers. (c) Barbara L. de Mare 2006, 2007

Name:
Location: Englewood, New Jersey, United States

Sunday, October 29, 2006

Where have I been?

Although I have been very bad about writing in my blog, I have at least been doing some research, as seen by the posts of today. Blog time has become difficult as my grandchildren (with my daughter) all moved in with me when school started. Trying to organize my house to fit an additional 5 people when I had expanded my stuff over the entire premises is an ongoing challenge. It is complicated by the fact that I decided I had had my fill of partnerships, and am going back into practice by myself. This way I can give my clients the service they expect and deserve without intereference from bureaucrats with no knowledge of the facts or background of any particular case. Thus genealogy is limited to a rare stolen weekend time. I did manage to pull off the Phillips-Knapp 2nd Annual Reunion in September, and was promptly appointed co-chairperson for next year. I have also begun my tenure as President of the Genealogical Society of Rockland County. In addition, I have gotten involved with the tricentennial celebration of the arrival of the Palatines in America in 1710. This week I was honored at the 30th anniversary celebration of Women Lawyers in Bergen County as the the 2nd President of the organization. In between these activities and working for a living, I try to help my daughter with the children, particularly the gynastics pick-up and drop-off schedules. Timmy works out every night except Weds from 6:30-9:30. The other kids are usually asleep by 9:30, so it works best if we are both home--one to stay with the sleepers and one to fetch Timmy. Fortunately most of my evening events are over just in time for me to get Timmy on my way home. My old schedule of coming in from work, going straight upstairs, and sitting at the computer doing genealogy until bedtime is pretty much gone. No matter how hard I try, I cannot ignore the please of the kids for Grandma to do this and that. Seeing them every day is a great pleasure, but also greatly exhausting. They went away this weekend, and I slept the entire time--until 7 tonight. I should be reinvigoriated for the week ahead!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home