history-genealogy site

This is a site where I will discuss my family genealogy research and related history. When a blog deals with a particular family group, I will try to include it in the title so uninterested people can skip it without skimming it. It is my hope to get feedback on research methods, family members and historical context from other historians, genealogists, and researchers. (c) Barbara L. de Mare 2006, 2007

Name:
Location: Englewood, New Jersey, United States

Tuesday, February 05, 2008

AVERY family

I belong to a My Family group known as the FamGenOs. Although few of us have met in person, we have become good friends through the medium of the site. Occasionally we find a name we think might link two people, but generally it does not pan out. I had that experience last week. The name Fitch was mentioned, and I said I had some. When I went to look, I discovered I had Finch, not Fitch. Somehow in this on-going discussion the name Avery was brought up. It turns out that Agatha, with whom I was primarily corresponding on this subject, is also descended from James Avery. While in Boston a couple of weeks ago, I had been looking for other wills, but fell upon Avery ones, so copied them. Serendipity! Now I have copies of the microfilm of the wills as recorded by the clerk of the court in the will books. I also have inventories, and a variety of other ducuments. I have just started to transcribe them, but will publish them here as I get them done. So far I have only transcribed the will of James Avery, Jr., son of THE James Avery. (Unfortunately my notes aren't at work so I can't give you dates. If anyone is interested, I will be glad to look them up and post them. The Avery family members from whom I am descended married into the Comsticks, who married into the Chapels, bringing us back once again to the renegade Mathew.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just found your blog and it is great.

You mentioned the name Avery. Any chance from CT?

How can I get on a feed for your blog? Still trying to figure this one out!

Linda In NC
lhendri479@aol.com

2:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found your link on your meadresearcher signature. I am a mead descendant and I am one of the administrators of the meadsearcher group. I am also an Avery descendant. My email is genealogymom64@yahoo.com

Judy Mead Blackman

7:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just found your blog. My father's name was Avery Rivel Mead, so now I wonder if there is also an Avery link. That gives me another direction. Thanks

Carol in Colorado
walshcarole@aol.com

7:13 PM  
Anonymous Bob said...

Subject: Caleb Martin m. Hannah Mead
Hi, Caleb Martin b.1795, VT, d.1842, Niagara, NY, is my 5th great grandfather. He married Hannah Mead b.1795 Cornwall, VT, d.1855 Kent Co, MI. I am looking for info on the Parents,
grandparents of Caleb Martin. I have a book about the Mead family that has their marriage in it, but no info about Caleb Martin.

Thanks,

Robert Martin Neher (Neher Family Tree)

bob.neher@gmail.com

8:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home