history-genealogy site

This is a site where I will discuss my family genealogy research and related history. When a blog deals with a particular family group, I will try to include it in the title so uninterested people can skip it without skimming it. It is my hope to get feedback on research methods, family members and historical context from other historians, genealogists, and researchers. (c) Barbara L. de Mare 2006, 2007

Name:
Location: Englewood, New Jersey, United States

Sunday, January 13, 2008

Quaker Meetings & PILES, HALLS, SMITHS

I obviously have flunked at my resolution to write on a daily basis, but twice in two weeks is definitely an improvement! My research time has been centering around reading CDs which I purchased many years ago, but never really "got into." My research on the Pile, Hall and Smith branches of the Carpenter family led to a renewed interest in Quaker meeting minutes. I remembered that I had CD #192-The Encyclopedia of Quaker Genealogy. Some of my files contained notes that there was material on this CD, but all said I still need to study and print it. Thus I started on a large-scale printing project to put the correct pages in the proper files. Now that I have a done a bit of printing & filing, I am up to reading and then sourcing the materials on my FTM database. Understanding Quaker records better than I did when I first looked at this CD several years ago, causes them to make a lot more sense, and the volumes of facts they have to offer are now apparent to me. Suddenly instead of hating CDs I am finding them a useful resource. Another interesting thing I found when I turned to CD research was CD #213, Pennsylvania Genealogical Magazine. I found a wonderful article on early Salem, West Jersey, families, with some attention paid to my Pile, Hall, and Smith families. I was then able to make more corrections to my database. With the wills and deeds as a base, all these materials are invaluably helpful. I think I would still not appreciate them if I hadn't first done the hard (or fun, depending on your point of view) work of Archives research. Now I just want to have a chance to return to the Archives armed with my new knowledge and new questions. It is a never-ending cycle: research, study, research, study, etc. Given a little more research I should be able to give my readers a synopsis of the origins of these families in West Jersey. I have yet to reach that comfort level with my research. I will, however, share some of the original documents from time to time if there is any interest in them. Then we can all try to interpret them together. Barbara

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home