history-genealogy site

This is a site where I will discuss my family genealogy research and related history. When a blog deals with a particular family group, I will try to include it in the title so uninterested people can skip it without skimming it. It is my hope to get feedback on research methods, family members and historical context from other historians, genealogists, and researchers. (c) Barbara L. de Mare 2006, 2007

Name:
Location: Englewood, New Jersey, United States

Saturday, January 26, 2008

NEHGS Council nomination official

As I may have previously mentioned, I was invited to the NEHGS Board of Trustees and Council dinner held this past Monday night in their Newberry Street facility in Boston. I went to the dinner as I had been tipped off that I might be being nominated for the Council. The tip was correct. It was announced that my name would officially be placed in nomination at the Board meeting the next day, and I would be formally elected to the Council at the April Board meeting. The dinner was elegant, fabulously catered, and finished off with a wonderful speaker. It was well worth the four hour trip. As I was already in Boston, and as my son-in-law was here so there were alternate child-care arrangements possible, I stayed until Thursday morning researching in the library. I never took a vacation by myself before. It really was a great way to go for a research trip. In addition to researching all day Tuesday, the library was open 9-9 on Wednesday. I was there waiting for the doors to open in the morning, and stayed until kicked out at night. Tuesday I was mostly doing Cape Cod research. I copied stacks of wills probated between 1637 and 1685. Now I just have to read and transcribe them, and figure out where they fit in my database. Wednesday I switched to Berkshire County, Massachusetts--the opposite side of the state. Again I found lots of good stuff. I was most happy that some of the wills I found verified ancestry and relationships that I was beginning to wonder if were valid. The bad part of the trip was having to leave. I was speaking at my Rotary Club at noon on Thursday, so had to leave Boston first thing in the morning to get home in time. Friday I was so exhausted I never woke up until 11:30. As I had a 1:30 eye appointment, going to work was then pointless. Researching is exhausting, but I never understand why it makes me so tired.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home