history-genealogy site

This is a site where I will discuss my family genealogy research and related history. When a blog deals with a particular family group, I will try to include it in the title so uninterested people can skip it without skimming it. It is my hope to get feedback on research methods, family members and historical context from other historians, genealogists, and researchers. (c) Barbara L. de Mare 2006, 2007

Name:
Location: Englewood, New Jersey, United States

Sunday, March 15, 2009

St. Thomas; John Thomas Carre

I took a few days vacation from both work and genealogy and spent a long weekend visiting friends on St. Thomas. Both couples bought condos there upon retirement.I have never been a Caribbean traveller, but found St. Thomas both beautiful and full of interesting history. The book I am currently reading is about the slave rebellion on neighboring St. John--four miles away. It is visible even on a cloudy day, it is so close. The histories of the two islands and of the slave rebellion on St. John are closely tied together. It was fascinating to be reading the book while there! We didn't get to go to St. John as their were high winds during my entire visit. It was too rough for my friends to take out their sailboat, so we just had lunch on it safely ensconced at its dock in what is known as a "hurricane hole." My Carre ancestors (Sophia Carre married john Sanderson) were involved in the later slave rebellion in the Dominican Republic. Sophia's father John Thomas Carre owned a large coffee plantation on Santa Domingo. He and his family managed to escape alive; the same can't be said for his neighbors. I am anxious to learn more about this rebellion. I only know John Thomas' story which I suspect may be embellished a bit. At least I have the story in his own words, not just subsequent family stories.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home