history-genealogy site

This is a site where I will discuss my family genealogy research and related history. When a blog deals with a particular family group, I will try to include it in the title so uninterested people can skip it without skimming it. It is my hope to get feedback on research methods, family members and historical context from other historians, genealogists, and researchers. (c) Barbara L. de Mare 2006, 2007

Name:
Location: Englewood, New Jersey, United States

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Rockland Families

I have been spending moat of my time of late working on DAR applications for others, mostly remote (6th cousins) collateral relatives in northern Rockland County. I mhardly knew Rockland County existed before I joined the Phillips-Knapp Family Association. I am fast becoming an expert on the inter-relationships of the old families, a very interesting sociological study. I find it amazing how many families are still there who settled in the part of Orange County now known as Rockland County in the 1750s or so. Many still live on land purchased by their settler-ancestors. I try to put these families on my Phillips-Knapp website, but have fallen sorely behind as of late. Hopefully I will be able to catch up soon! One result of this project is that I joined the Stony Point, Rockland County, DAR Chapter. I am always looking for more sixth cousins to join! I have at least three Revolutionary War ancestors from Rockland. All I need is time to do supplemental applications for these lines. My paternal grandmother joined the DAR through Ebenezer McKenzie. Eli Phillips and Richard Dykens are my other two known Rockland lines. Right now I am following the Brooks and Rose lines. I am quite certain that none of the Brooks are in my ancestry, but the Rose family may be. The problem is the usual one of re-use of the same names over and over. Church, cemetery and funeral home records are the best sources for tracing families in Rockland.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, my grandmother was a Beekman, descended from Gerardus and William, etc...I think we are very distantly related. Do you have an archive of Beekman info? You are quite the researcher, wow...I saw a post on a genealogy website and saw we have some ancestry in common. Any help is appreciated. Sincerely, Sally

1:48 AM  
Blogger Adienne said...

My mother also joined the DAR through Ebenezer McKenzie. I wanted to find out more about this gentleman for my granddaughter. I started my search on http://services.dar.org/public/dar_research/search/ and found Ebenezer McKenzie is not listed !? Not sure what to think.

6:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home